There are many things to consider when preparing for a remodel. One thing that many homeowners neglect in their planning process is their pets! Follow these easy remodeling tips and furry friends are sure to remain safe, happy, and free from stress.
- Keep it Safe: There are many ways to ensure a pet’s safety during a remodel. First, make sure they have proper identification. With workers constantly coming in and out, doors and windows are sure to be left open and unattended. Tags and microchips can help a lost pet get home quickly in the event that he or she escapes. Additionally, on days where a lot of demolition, painting, or sawing is scheduled, consider sending pets to daycare. The loud noises and toxic fumes can frighten them.
- Warn the Workers: Anybody coming into your house to complete part of the remodel should know that pets live there. Homeowners and contractors should agree on a plan to keep the pets safe and out of the way.
- Have a Safe Zone: Set aside a room or area (preferably enclosed) where pets can rest and get away from all the chaos. Make sure their bed, food, water, and favorite toys are with them.
- Check the House: Everyday after the work crew leaves, check each room in the house for safety hazards. Pets might think supplies such as spackle, insulation, paint, glue, or grout look tasty and end up eating some. Additionally, power tools and shards of wood or nails and screws can also pose a safety hazard. Make sure everything is out of reach.
- Remember their Routine: The mayhem of construction can be very stressful for pets, so try to keep their daily activities, like walks and eating times, the same.
Progressive Builders has many years of experience with home remodels of all shapes and sizes. We are happy to help homeowners with not only the home remodel itself, but also the preparation leading up to it, including remodeling tips for pets. Contact us today to get started!