Are you thinking about hardwood flooring installation in your home? Are you overwhelmed by all of the choices out there? Or maybe a family member or co-worker told you a horror story about his or her own hardwood flooring installation. If you love the warmth and ease of care that hardwood floors bring to a home, we have great news for you! Hardwood floor finishes and stains have come a long way in recent years, making them easier to clean and maintain. Whether your floor is laminate, bamboo, oak, or walnut, there is a right and a wrong way to care for it. Knowing the difference can save homeowners a lot of time and money.
- Use the proper floor cleaner, such as Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner. Avoid using a wet mop, as the water can soak between the planks, causing warping or staining.
- Avoid polishing acrylics, waxes, and oils, as they can cause wood to become very slippery and dull. They also require stripping before being recoated.
- Place throw rugs both inside and outside doors. They will catch dirt and debris, preventing it from getting trapped in grooves. In addition, if you install hardwood in your kitchen or bathrooms, place rugs near sinks, the dishwasher, and refrigerator if possible. They will absorb any water that may drip from these areas.
- If you have pets, keep their nails trimmed, as they can scratch and dent hardwood. Additionally, pet urine can penetrate the wood and leave a stain, so make sure pets are house trained or have an area away from the hardwood to do their business.
- If you have real hardwood floors, make sure to have a fresh coat of finish applied every 5 years or so. If you see the finish wearing down in high-traffic areas, take care of it! If you wait until the finish is completely worn off, the wood will need to be re-sanded, which is messy, costly, and time consuming.
Progressive Builders is your go-to project manager for home remodels. If you have any questions about hardwood flooring installation or maintenance, contact us today!